Subject: Re: So... Re: offering pre-purchases
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:29:04 -0700

begin Stephen J. Turnbull quotation of Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:03:16AM +0900:

> If you (and Tom) can't come up with more interesting hedges based on
> technological risk than that, why should our cranially cramped friends
> with the overstuffed wallets be expected to?

You're right.  There are harder problems, and
something that is just a matter of engineering is
probably too far along to benefit from pre-purchase
or futures.

Machine vision -- will a machine be able to recognize
x% of weapons in x-rays, or read x% of license plates?

Robotics -- can a machine pick lettuce and get x%
yield?

Voice recognition, weather
prediction, personalization recommendations
(http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/10/netflixs_personalization_conte_1.html)
-- basically any technical advance that would
materially change the ratios of energy, labor, and
capital in the budget of a startup that the VC is
interested in.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/