Subject: Re: Thoughts on GPL
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jsshapiro@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:17:57 -0500

John:

Good to hear from you on this topic.  Of all of the people out there
your views on this are among the most carefully thought out, so I
especially appreciate your time in contributing.

Someone in private mail suggested to me that they felt Cygnus had
"sold out" (note: *their* words) by shifting focus to non-GPL add-ons
that build on a GPL'd base.

I'm not sure I agree with that critique, but from an outsider's view
of the web site, the Cygnus positioning *does* appear to have shifted
primarily to traditional software sales.

In light of this, I would be interested to hear your views on:

     + how this apparent change in focus is reconciled with your
       comments about Cygnus succeeding on a GPL basis?

     + to what extent the investors made their investment in
       anticipation of this change?

     + whether (if you can say) you think that Cygnus's leadership
       role in the GPL world will survive the change?

     + why, if the GPL model is well-suited to the development of new
       software, Cygnus elected to go the more traditional route for
       its recent products?

I'm aware that Cygnus did very well for a long time doing purely GPL'd
work.

Thank you

shap