Subject: Re: Patent prior art database
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:56:30 -0700

begin Chris DiBona quotation of Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:16:01AM -0700:

> I think that organizations that purport to organize 'ideas' as a defense again
> future stupid patents should patent that stupid idea so we don't have to hear
> about it anymore.

Larry Augustin on "One Patent Per Developer"
  http://lmaugustin.typepad.com/lma/2007/05/one_patent_per_.html

What we could use is something like a "Summer of
Patents."  Participating developers would write up
ideas as provisional patent applications, a panel of
mentors would pick the good ones, and the Summer of
Patents sponsor would pay the PPA fee.  Everyone who
gets a PPA successfully turned in then gets a copy
of _Patent It Yourself_, a ticket to a "how to get a
patent" seminar, an account on a web board for legal
help, and support with the remaining fees to finish
getting the patent.

Developers would own their own patents, and the
OPPD organization would have to be separate from
the sponsor (so they get the small business pricing
at USPTO) but all patents could be licensed under
something like the Red Hat patent promise.

Plenty of students and broke-ass hackers would do
this if the USPTO fees were covered -- a patent always
looks good on the resume.

(Still trying to figure out how to get IDG to file
for a prose patent.)

--
Don Marti                                               +1 415-734-7913 mobile
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/