Subject: Re: Patent prior art database
From: "Luis Villa" <luis@tieguy.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:03:14 -0700

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> wrote:
> begin Chris DiBona quotation of Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:16:01AM -0700:
>
>> I think that organizations that purport to organize 'ideas' as a defense again
>> future stupid patents should patent that stupid idea so we don't have to hear
>> about it anymore.
>
> Larry Augustin on "One Patent Per Developer"
>  http://lmaugustin.typepad.com/lma/2007/05/one_patent_per_.html
>
> What we could use is something like a "Summer of
> Patents."  Participating developers would write up
> ideas as provisional patent applications, a panel of
> mentors would pick the good ones, and the Summer of
> Patents sponsor would pay the PPA fee.  Everyone who
> gets a PPA successfully turned in then gets a copy
> of _Patent It Yourself_, a ticket to a "how to get a
> patent" seminar, an account on a web board for legal
> help, and support with the remaining fees to finish
> getting the patent.

Red Hat/Fedora offered money for this years ago, but got nowhere with
it, primarily because the motivation of the volunteer developers fell
apart on contact with the idea of how much work was actually going to
be needed to actually push the thing through to completion. They've
got to have the patience to deal with *years* of paperwork. And as RH
discovered basically no one actually has that for an abstract,
low-payoff thing like filing a defensive patent.

Luis