Subject: Re: Patent prior art database
From: Rich Bodo <richbodo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:47:41 -0700

> I still don't understand Peer to Patent.
>   http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/654
> Why would a non-patent holder want to increase the
> patent power/dollar ratio for patent holders?

It's just one example.  Imagine a similar system that takes
community-ranked (by dislike) patents pending and matches it up with
communit-ranked (by relevance) prior art.

Freedom-loving geeks might love well-implemented Prior Art Databases
because:

1) they make less stuff patentable
2) they may encourage the generation of art

So, well-implemented means:

* Fun
* Free
(*Big - you get this for free if you do well on the first two)

The hope being that if they are really big, and they succeed in
encouraging people to create all kinds of prior art and index it in the
way we create open-source code today, then they will begin to squeeze
the domain of patentable ideas.

 From the patent it yourself book, page 100:

"The PTO has even used old Dick Tracy comic strips showing a wristwatch
radio as prior art!"

-Rich

You can say it's an infinite pie, but we all eat the slices nearby.