Subject: Re: Patent prior art database
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:05:04 -0700

begin Lawrence Rosen quotation of Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 11:09:13AM -0700:

> If we are going to take advantage of the defensive opportunities of patents,
> sometimes we have to license them for money that we can then use to promote
> open source. This is a simple derivative of the dual licensing model we have
> used for years with copyright, except that patents can more easily and
> thoroughly defend open source against predatory free-riders in the
> commercial world.

Makes sense, and I can see how this would work for
something like Red Hat's paying an existing troll to
leave open source alone and go after the proprietary
competition.  The only missing part, as Larry Augustin
and Chris DiBona have pointed out, is seed money for
getting new patents.  (Somewhere the next Tatu Ylonen
is inventing the next ssh.)

--
Don Marti                                               +1 415-734-7913 mobile
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/