Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Rich Bodo <richbodo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:03:10 -0700

>  I think it's pretty likely that the next generation
> of phones (the ones that come with the mind-killer of TV) are going to
> kill personal computers as we know them pretty much dead.
Why will that happen?

Not because computing power is no longer compelling: History tells us
that compelling new applications lead to markets for specialized
hardware, which will always be replaced by general purpose hardware as
power increases.  As mind-blowing as the next specialized piece of
hardware is, the next piece of gp hardware is just as compelling.

The argument must be that compute-intensive applications are shifting to
remote server farms.  I would certainly agree with that trend, but I
don't see that changing PCs much in this generation.  In another 10
years maybe - just enough time to build a strong FOSS installed base and
community on mobile devices. The glass is half full yet!  ;)