Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:16:02 -0700

Rich Bodo wrote:

>>  I think it's pretty likely that the next generation
>> of phones (the ones that come with the mind-killer of TV) are going to
>> kill personal computers as we know them pretty much dead.
> Why will that happen?

Because fairly soon it will become viable to sell general
purpose computers that exclusively run (under ordinary
modes of operation) javascript, xquery, xslt, a browser-like
thing, and NOT MUCH MORE.   There's a good chance that
very high quality examples of this de facto new platform will
emerge.    The "NIC machine" (remember that?) was ahead of
its time.

That changes the game for hardware / "gadget" designers.
Making and supporting and selling a personal "brick" computer
that runs linux?  or Windows XP?  or some Vista foo?  That's
hard!

But a standard brick that just does XML and Javascript with
nice graphics and can connect to the net?   These new
personal lisp machines will be very popular and not so very
hard to build.

-t