Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:41:11 -0700

begin simo quotation of Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 05:13:28PM +0000:

> So my question should have been better framed as: do we have some
> evidence that Canonical have found a viable business model and can move
> forward ?
> It is critical to asses whether Ubuntu will actually be the Microsoft
> and Apple competitor and not just the fashion of the moment.

For now, the strongest business model for desktop
Linux is: throw money and attention at Linux, get
way more back in concessions from MSFT.
  http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/23489
($3 Windows in emerging markets, the return of Windows
XP, and who knows what else behind the scenes.)

Economics Prof. Mark J. Perry points out --
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/07/for-some-products-theres-been-major.html
-- computer prices are down 90% in the last 10 years,
but software is down only 47%.  And that's the one
part in a Dell or HP system that the manufacturer
doesn't have a strong second source for.

The problem with matching system vendors and projects
is free riders.  It might be interesting for Canonical
or RHT to try one of the proposed feature futures
protocols:
  http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/2749

--
Don Marti                                               +1 415-734-7913 mobile
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/