Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Rich Bodo <richbodo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:40:31 -0700

> I think you underestimate the power of neater graphics (which require a
> lot of *local* computing power) in consumer products. Especially if we
> are going to see true 3D work environments at some point.

I my first paragraph, I was just asking Stephen if he was arguing the
same point you are arguing, simo.

FWIW, you and I completely agree that consumer appetite for MIPs will
not diminish in the next 10 years.  Miniaturization will be fighting a
constant battle to keep up.

Sure, when we get to the point where we can use a tiny mobile device to
saturate the input capacity of all our human senses, we probably won't
be fighting for local MIPS.  (maybe we'll be fighting aliens for bandwidth)

I think the most relevant question to this list is:

If the percentage of instructions executed remotely increases, will that
reduce the percentage installed base of free software?

I don't think so.

I also think that companies like Apple will have tremendous competition
from Free Software on mobile devices in the near future.  That's healthy
competition for them that is anxiously awaited by the rest of the mobile
industry.

And Thomas, I do remember the NIC, and the Javastation (used to keep
that one on my shelf long after it became useless just because it was so
beautiful).

-Rich