Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Rich Bodo <richbodo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:51:29 -0700

 > For now, the strongest business model for desktop
 > Linux is: throw money and attention at Linux, get
 > way more back in concessions from MSFT.
 >   http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/23489
 > ($3 Windows in emerging markets, the return of Windows
 > XP, and who knows what else behind the scenes.)

The use of pens encourages freedom.  The use of swords discourages it.
Any business model that generates revenue and distributes swords is not
a free software business model in my book.

So, I'll see that cynicism and raise you one sarcasm:

Really?  Three dollar swords?  And we can make money helping MSFT
distribute them in emerging markets?  WooHoo! <much fist pumping/>

These days, on the factory floor, it's hard to find a sword, and
businesses are slowly starting to use pens at their desks.  We can't do
without pens anymore, pens are saving businesses tons of money,
encouraging freedom, and as recenltly noted here, the adoption trend is
phenomenally encouraging.

The pen is mightier than the sword.  Take away the sword - States can be
saved without it!

The fact that sword manufacturers are paying people not to manufacture
pens is interesting, though.  It's an unnecessary validation for me,
perhaps not for others.

-Rich