Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:30:01 +0900

Rich Bodo writes:

 > Sure, when we get to the point where we can use a tiny mobile
 > device to saturate the input capacity of all our human senses, we
 > probably won't be fighting for local MIPS.

Local MIPS, yes, but programmability via the local UI is what I think
is (already) going away in terms of the fraction of users who have it
available.

[[ Aside to TL:

 > (maybe we'll be fighting aliens for bandwidth)

Oh, no, don't tell me he's Robert Chassell in capitalist drag!?! ]]

 > If the percentage of instructions executed remotely increases, will that
 > reduce the percentage installed base of free software?
 >
 > I don't think so.

I think it will indeed reduce the percentage installed base of free
software as Stallman envisaged it: open source software easily
hackable by the end users.  What we are seeing more and more is open
source software which is free ("as in free speech") to the user (as in
the adminstrator of the remote server).

This is a very good thing in itself, IMO, but we can do better as a
free society, I hope.