Subject: Franklin Street Statement and Free Network Services
From: Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:58:39 -0400
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:58:39 -0400
Hi, all. I'm interested in getting some feedback from the list on the
Franklin Street Statement:

http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/

...and on the Open Software Service Definition:

http://www.opendefinition.org/ossd

I'm currently working on an Open Software Service called Identi.ca:

http://identi.ca/

It's a microblogging site (think Twitter) built on Open Source software
and Open Data. To add to the fun, we use a distributed social networking
model, with a fun little open protocol called OpenMicroBlogging.

Things are going a leetle beet crazy with Open Source and Web services
lately. An Open Source, Open Data site is the 8th biggest (or is it 7th
now?) on Alexa. Reddit went FLOSS a while ago, and Ma.gnolia.com just
announced their M2 project.

Second players in network-effects markets can change the game with Open
Source. In a closed world, it's silo vs. silo, and the biggest silo
wins. But in an open world, it's protocol vs. silo, or Internet vs.
silo, and no silo is as big as the Internet. It's not a guaranteed win,
but in a network-effect market, it's about the best chance you've got if
you're not in first place.

Thoughts, ideas, feelings, emotions?

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name>

[...]

["application/x-pkcs7-signature" not shown]