Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:21:57 -0700

Russ Nelson wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
>  > I think it's pretty likely that the next generation of phones (the
>  > ones that come with the mind-killer of TV) are going to kill
>  > personal computers as we know them pretty much dead.  You take your
>  > phone home, you put it into its cradle, it provides the brains and
>  > connectivity that drive the keyboard and TV^H^Hmonitor on the desk.
>
> I'm MUCH less confident of that.  Anything portable is going to have
> less resources than anything stationary

With very low manufacturing costs added you can make
devices that (a) vary in capability more widely than current
devs, depending on the amount of power available;  (b) break
up, more than current devs, into separately carriable and separately
recombinable, independently useful modules.

For example, if I'm setting up a factory (say, a rendering factory)
then, sure -- I'll want multi-core.

But if I just want N cores doing my desktop?  N independently
useful single core portable bricks are just fine so long as they can run
faster and hotter on grid power contrasted with battery power.

I'll take 1/5th of my computer to use as a PDA during my vacation
trip.   That kind of thing.   It's practically a done deal.  People have
been patiently engineering towards this kind of thing for quite a while
now.

-t