Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 04:54:08 -0700

begin Rich Bodo quotation of Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:51:29PM -0700:

> The fact that sword manufacturers are paying people not to manufacture
> pens is interesting, though.  It's an unnecessary validation for me,
> perhaps not for others.

It's not that they're being paid not to _manufacture_
pens -- just not to sell or promote them.  As the
usefulness of the available pens goes up, the payment
not to work with them has to go up as well.

A "cynic" funding free software as a bargaining chip
might actually be more motivated to fund "plumbing"
work than an FSB that had to make a sustainable living
out of somehow charging for one piece of the product.

--
Don Marti                                               +1 415-734-7913 mobile
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/