Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:05:11 +0900

Tim O'Reilly writes:

 > And also FWIW, I've been castigated as recently as last year by the
 > FSF for saying that.

This is not a surprise.  In recent threads on emacs-devel RMS has
revealed that he has never installed a GNU/Linux system himself, and
has argued vehemently against use of infrastructure (bug trackers,
version control) which use the web (as opposed to email) heavily.  As
with going to a Catholic priest for marriage counseling, given the
right person you may get good advice -- but it sure isn't founded in
experience.  I dunno about Eben Moglen, but RMS clearly has badly
fogged vision when it comes to the capabilities and working of the
web, 1.0 or 2.0.

 > What is the right battle to fight for user freedom today?

Well, you say you've seen this coming for a decade (which seems
plausible to me).  What do *you* think?

If it would help to have a more precise query: It looks to me like an
Open Software Service Definition is something whose time has come,
although I've quibbled with the formulations referenced here.  Do you
agree?  Why or why not?  Is there a definition you like?