Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:21:20 -0700

Eben said nothing "marxist".   You misunderstand him:

> A friend comments that Eben likes to take the long view, which is
> fine, but defining the proprietary software models as gone history

He does no such thing.

He does argue that there will be a backlash against, e.g., Google
and Facebook.   Things like Facebook will fall quickly out of
fashion (in a 10 year view).   Google's ad-broker business will
collapse when the pricing bubble for ads breaks and when users
begin demanding a curtailment of the creation of a privatized
secret police.   Meanwhile, billions more humans will personally
own and control computers with plenty of speed and storage
to do quite a bit on their own.  That personal-computing-on-the-
edge bit is where he and Stallman see the strategic action.

(I would add only that personal-computing-on-the-server
is also a strategic goal, best addressed by implementing it.)

> So yes, money counts.

I think you have indeed mightily slain that straw man.

-t