Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:29:03 -0700
Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:29:03 -0700
simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 12:34 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
>
>> 3. Work to *teach* users about the kinds of conflicts
>>     of rights that software freedom implies:
>>     (e.g., the perils of Google, the unfair labor
>>     practices of GNU/Linux vendors).
>>

> I'd be interested in knowing what are these unfair labor practices.

They accept charity that they don't need and financially
reward a tiny subset who are their "favorite donors".  They
use that scheme to pay out less in payroll.

Thought experiment:

Many public or semi-public software projects have,
on their web pages, a link usually named something
like "get involved" or "how to contribute" or
"for developers".    The linked page will tell where
to get the source, how to tie in to the source
control system, where the bug reports are kept,
what the coding standards are ... that kind of thing.

What if, overnight, we could do a text search and
replace on all of those links so that all of them
were named "work for us without pay".

That would be completely accurate.   It would
not in any way change the infrastructure to disrupt
work patterns.

What would happen next?

-t