Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:51:26 -0700
Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:51:26 -0700
al davis wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2008, Thomas Lord wrote:
>
>> Many public or semi-public software projects have,
>> on their web pages, a link usually named something
>> like "get involved" or "how to contribute" or
>> "for developers".    The linked page will tell where
>> to get the source, how to tie in to the source
>> control system, where the bug reports are kept,
>> what the coding standards are ... that kind of thing.
>>

> So do propriatary packages.
>
> Look at Matlab, for example.  Lots of those extras were
> contributed by customers, gratis.
>
> Same goes for lots of other apps .. user contributed plugins,
> models, data, etc., all dependent on a proprietary core.

Outside of software there are other examples.  For
example, I would bet that you can buy or request
a pamphlet, from this or that manufacturer of
chocolate chips, of customer-given cookie recipies.

That's what it is.  This is different.

The people giving cookie recipes to their favorite
chocolate chip manufacturer aren't, generally,
making that manufacturer a lot of money.  They
aren't told that this is their path for career advancement.
They aren't penalized when they "don't do it right"
or when someone has a grudge against them -- it's
a low stakes game.

Getting volunteers to jump through hoops
with sporadic and unreliable rewards, arbitrary
penalties, myth-making and rumor-spreading
is an awfully odd business plan, if you ask me.

-t