Subject: Re: slavery and freedom
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:09:07 -0700

simo wrote:
> One thing is completely missing here. The "battered spouse" has no
> choice,

That's usually not the case, in some sense. There is usually
escape and support available.

That is why you have even *heard of* battered spouse
syndrome: because political activists advertised the concept
in order to try to make more abused spouses *aware* that
they have or should at least look for choices.

> On the contrary proprietary or even free software developers that work
> for hire are more likely to be exploited, but it seem that paid
> exploitation is ok for you ? ... I don't get your point.

Now, wait a minute. Look at what you just wrote there.

You are seriously going to argue that paying workers is more
exploitative than not paying them, cēterīs paribus? Really?

> You may call these people stupid

I did not and do not. You are putting words in my
mouth.

> if you really think they are wrong, but
> they are certainly not exploited unknowingly and I do not see at all how
> you can equate their situation to the "battered spouse syndrome".

How about Tom Sawyer and fence painting? Is that
more comfortable for you?

-t