Subject: Re: slavery and freedom
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:32:16 +0000

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 15:09 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> simo wrote:
> > One thing is completely missing here. The "battered spouse" has no
> > choice,
>
> That's usually not the case, in some sense. There is usually
> escape and support available.

What I mean is that the spouse usually have no choice, whether because
of coercion or because she feels constricted by social costume.

Of course there are ways out.

> > On the contrary proprietary or even free software developers that work
> > for hire are more likely to be exploited, but it seem that paid
> > exploitation is ok for you ? ... I don't get your point.
> >

> Now, wait a minute. Look at what you just wrote there.
>
> You are seriously going to argue that paying workers is more
> exploitative than not paying them, cēterīs paribus? Really?

Yes, you cannot, as easily as a volunteer can, say no when you are paid
for something. Even if you think the choice is otherwise stupid or even
damaging. True you can change job but that's a different thing.

> > You may call these people stupid
>
> I did not and do not. You are putting words in my
> mouth.

Ok you seem to imply these people are not able to recognize they are
exploited and willfully keep being so. I think this means you think they
are stupid, I may be wrong, and if so, I apologize, but this is the what
I understood from the way you put it.

> > if you really think they are wrong, but
> > they are certainly not exploited unknowingly and I do not see at all how
> > you can equate their situation to the "battered spouse syndrome".
> >

> How about Tom Sawyer and fence painting? Is that
> more comfortable for you?

If I know the story (sorry they didn't teach all Tom Sawyers story back
in Italy :-) then I do not see the analogy with the free software
volunteer, except for sporadic uninteresting cases perhaps.

Simo.