Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:34:33 +0900

Thomas Lord writes:

 > It's not quite the same, almost the opposite:  The NFL
 > and the schools and the law have rules to *prevent*
 > paying those players and here in free software I'm suggesting
 > professional norms to *require* paying those players
 > but both cases are about trying to prevent exploitation.

But we *have* those rules.  They're called "copyright" and "patent"
and they DO NOT WORK to ensure unexploited labor.

I wish you luck finding rules that don't look like intellectual
property, unless you think the NSF grant system is a better idea.  But
that turns out not to work either, ask any ABD grad student without a
patentable device.