Subject: Re: Larry Augustin on US vs European OSS focus
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:26:53 -0700

begin Federico Lucifredi quotation of Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:51:31AM -0400:

> http://lmaugustin.typepad.com/lma/2008/09/commercial-open-source-in-europe-verses-the-us.html
>
> It summarizes the different standpoints fairly well. Unexpected the EU
> view about dual licensing in the EU case, at least from my understanding
> of the market (and given that Trolltech so successfully championed that
> model from Norway), but the rest was what I would have expected to see.

Doesn't really make sense to bundle the "GPL buyout"
business plan and the "teaserware" business plan
together as "dual licensing."  They're very different.
GPL buyout gets you into distributions and appliances
and onto hosting sites, in front of more potential
customers, but makes it harder to close each one;
teaserware gives you nice download numbers to put
in your PowerPoint presentation for OSBC, but might
otherwise just be a harder-to-track version of the
Download Evaluation Copy button.

--
Don Marti                                               +1 510-814-0932
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/