Subject: Re: Paul Fremantle on Open Source Business
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 09:03:17 -0700

begin simo quotation of Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:47:58AM -0400:

> This is what I call building and fostering a vibrant community. As long
> as the community is alive you are. The good thing about Open Source is
> that what you write can survive you. Usually with proprietary software,
> what you write dies with your business, so as an asset OSS should be
> valued more by the buyer, as it has less risks attached. Especially if
> said tool is critical for your business. And that is one of the
> collateral advantages you can bring on the table when you market your
> choice.

Much (maybe most) software has no market or community.
Just bugs and costs.

To me, it looks like there are more company-sponsored
open source projects where the alternative was to
keep it in-house than there are projects where the
alternative was to license as a proprietary product.

Maybe I'm just looking at the web market too much,
though.  But it does seem that more people on the
business side are talking about why "we decided to go
open source instead of proprietary" and more people
on the community management side are talking about
"why we decided to clean up our internal stuff and
release it."

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/