Subject: Re: Paul Fremantle on Open Source Business
From: Rich Bodo <richbodo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:07:05 -0700

 Tue, 25 May 2010 23:07:05 -0700
> That's a bit unfair.  Freemantle, like my buddy at Sun, has a job to
> do as an evangelist and as a venture mentor.  He's not trying to
> define "open source business" for the heck of it, he needs a
> definition to do his job well.

I wonder about that.

Do we really need to have a definition of an open source business?  I
think we've been reading articles like this, and discussing this topic
for 10 years now.

Don't get me wrong.  10 years from now, I'll probably still be
blabbing on about this once in a while.  I actually enjoyed Fremantles
attempt - I like the article.  It is probably way more fun for me to
read than it was for him to write.

I disagree that he needs to have a definition, however.

Building better communities faster is a valid focus for a business
leader these days.  I don't have to cite any examples to get a lot of
buy-in with that statement.  The employee that punches furthest above
their weight in any company these days is the biggest community
builder.

So you're going to develop something in the open to build community?
You don't need an excuse.  No one needs to know that this is or is not
defined as an open-source business.

--
-Rich

http://rbodo.blogspot.com