Subject: Partly-baked idea - Freeware cards, web site
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:58:13 -0800

Guise-

Eric Raymond says that folks in the freeware community get "paid" in
terms of "egoboo" (recognition of their peers, etc.).  I've been
thinking about ways to enhance this egoboo, while building awareness
of the existence (and diversity) of freeware.

I've come up with the idea of printing up some (2.5" x 3.5") "bubble-
gum cards" for assorted notables in the freeware community.  One side
of the card would have a 4-color portrait; the other side would have
a textual precis of the individual's contributions.

Most of the notables would be freeware authors, to be sure, but others
could be book authors, consultants, freeware distributors, et cetera.
Basically, the only requirement is that the person has contributed to
the freeware community in some definable and significant fashion.

Along with, and in preparation for this effort, I would solicit images
and text for the Freeware Central web pages.  I have a graphic artist
who is interested in doing the grunt work.  I also have good contacts
with printers, due to my publishing efforts.  So, this could happen...

OTOH, I am not sure whether it would be "work", to any useful degree
of work:

  *  Would it be worthwhile?

  *  Would contributors be interested in being highlighted?

  *  Would other freeware businesses sponsor sets of cards
     and/or print up their own?

  *  Would freeware businesses distribute cards (e.g., with products)?

So, I have decided to ask youall for some feedback.  Have at it...

-r

Rich Morin, Canta Forda Computer Laboratory | Prime Time Freeware - quality
  UNIX consulting, training, and writing    | freeware at affordable prices
  P.O. Box 1488, Pacifica, CA, 94044, USA   | www.ptf.com      info@ptf.com
  rdm@cfcl.com            +1 650-873-7841   | +1 408-433-9662   -0727 (Fax)