Subject: Re: Apache and GIMP
From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@meer.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:44:52 -0500

------ Scott Goehring, <199803202157.QAA21972@poverty.bloomington.in.us> writes

    On a related topic: I'm taking a lot of heat from some sectors on the
    question of whether we should support and/or encourage a Windows 95/NT
    port.  Some of Gimp's more ardent supports are steadfastly opposed to
    the idea because "making Gimp available to Windows users undermines
    the free software movement."

while i don't run M$ products, but more people do than don't, as you
mention.

i think the GIMP on win-32 is a fine idea.

one thing that is becoming obvious with free s/w is the lack of
reasonable user interfaces on products. GIMP is a step in the right
direction.  but there is still a chasm there that has to be crossed
before free s/w will gain a level of respectability (this is the biggest
complaint i've heard from people i'v foisted various programs on before
- "free s/w is clunky").

and the Macintosh is another excellent platform.  when i worked at 3DO
(back before it was called 3do and had a few other lame acronyms) we had
people using macintosh based tools and SGI based tools, and the
interaction between the two of them was always the biggest pain for the
animators.

tim