Subject: Re: taking heat for doing Windows
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:12:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Daniel Nachbar wrote:
> >  ... I'm taking a lot of heat from some sectors on the
> > question of whether we should support and/or encourage a Windows 95/NT
> > port. ...

Well, I can show graphics artists the GIMP, say "you need Linux,
FreeBSD, or a workstation for this", and get them to install Linux.
(In theory.  I haven't done it yet.)  I suspect that a lot of them
actually will do this, especially if they aren't terribly computer-literate.

Perhaps someone who's tried this can comment.

> If we grant MS unchallenged dominance in apps by refusing to
> produce competitive free products on Windows, we abandon the
> largest segment of market to MS for both OS's and apps.

Microsoft's modus operandi is to let other people do the work of
developing the design and UI, and determine which products are
marketable, and then to implement a substitute, and then to change the
OS so that their substitute works much better than the original for the
six months to a year that it takes for the substitute to get back on
its feet.

If you think you're going to challenge Microsoft's dominance on apps on
a Microsoft OS, you're just fooling yourself.

Nevertheless, I think it would be somewhat unethical -- from the point
of view that people ought to be able to do what they want on their own
computers -- to obstruct the construction of a Win32 GIMP.  And a Win32
GTK might actually be a significant boon to the image of open-source
software.

Kragen