Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: open source definition
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:49:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Proprietary is a negative, value-laden word.  I do not think it is
> appropriate for what I am talking about.

It's certainly value-laden, but I've seen many companies advertising
how proprietary their software is.  I don't think it's really
inherently negative.

Myself, I sort of shudder when I see those ads, but it's not so much
because they're using `negative, value-laden words', but because I
don't like the meaning behind the words.  I would feel the same way if
the ads said the software was `patented', `patent-protected',
`trade-secret', etc.

Kragen