Subject: Re: open source definition
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jsshapiro@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:11:47 -0400

> Jonathan, you're just a cynic about the benefits of mutual cooperation.
> That's OK, the rest of us can cooperate fine without your cooperation.
> You and Keith should start a nice proprietary company together...  :-)

John:

The personal jabs are unwarranted, and you have known me long enough
to know that they are untrue, which makes them somewhat offensive to
me.

I'm not at all a cynic about the benefits of cooperation.  I think
cooperation is a fine idea.  I think that everyone involved should be
compensated in equitable fashion, and I'm prepared to believe that for
many people "recognition" (or some such) is adequate compensation.
What you consider compensatory is largely your business.

My problem is that certain key parties in the free software community
use the free software idea to bilk a large number of people into
engaging in efforts whose value they do not comprehend.  Worse, they
have convinced a large body of people -- including yourself -- to
proselytize the view that software should not be "property."  You of
all people know this is the logical conclusion of the free software
position.

In the final analysis, my problem with free software is not that it's
free.  My problem is my belief that it serves as a cover for one of
the grander forms of systematic deceit I have observed in my lifetime.

shap