Subject: Re: open source definition
From: bruce@va.debian.org
Date: 22 Apr 1998 22:16:24 -0000

From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.umd.edu>
> Is that true?  Let's say that company X made a product based on GPL'ed
> software and sold it to company Y for $100K.  No one can get the source
> other than company Y.  Company Y certainly won't publish the source because
> it just paid $100K for it.

The point I was trying to make was that nobody else could make big bucks
on _my_ work. Your example proposes someone else trying to make a big
mark-up on _their_own_ work, which is a different issue.

Let's take the example of my GPL-ed "Electric Fence" malloc() debugger,
which is sold by Red Hat and others at a reasonable price. If I found out
that somebody was selling _my_ software for $100K, I'd just advertise a
$5 version of my own so that nobody else would be able to take a large
mark-up on _my_ work.

	Thanks

	Bruce