Subject: Re: open source definition
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jsshapiro@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:59:52 -0400

Bruce:

> How much of this stuff have you written?...

There are a number of people, occasionally including myself, who have
given away their software in full knowledge of what they were giving
away.  I don't have any quarrel with that.  I'm sure your path to hell
is terrific, but I already have one I'm happy with. :-)

Convincing a bunch of fairly naive college and high school students
that there is some great moral good in giving away the fruits of their
efforts -- deliberately undermining their attempts to make a competent
assessment of value in the process -- is, in my opinion, deceitful.

I'm reminded of the Hare Krishna scene in the movie Airplane.  I've
always been sympathetic to O.J. in that scene.

The argument that there is economic benefit to free software is fairly
new, and may have merit.  It has the significant advantage that it can
be quantitatively evaluated.

shap