Subject: Re: open source definition
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:53:55 -0400

> sometimes, writing code is not a development cost, it's a marketing
> cost, and sometimes our value-added is not in the code, but
> elsewhere

I think this disqualifies your situation as an existance proof of
profitable free software development.  There are lots of existing
business models that use code as advertising - cdrom production, book
writing, consulting, etc.  In each case the code is an expense, not a
profit center.  To be an existance proof, the money has to be made
from the code itself.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf