Subject: Re: open source definition
From: Brian J Fox <bfox@wiwi.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:48:50 +0200 (MET DST)

   Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:26:50 -0400
   From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jsshapiro@earthlink.net>

   > Bunyip received venture capital money for code we will be
   > giving away. We will be charging for other code...

   The first is that the code you are giving away is a marketing loss
   leader.  In that case, provided it isn't costing too much, you are
   doing something that's business-wise sound, and I'm not surprised that
   the investors bought in to it.

This is another angle on the razor-and-blades approach in business.

I have personally used this approach (as has Cygnus) in my writing of
freed software -- the money isn't made in the software, but in the
consultation fees using the tool.  The wide availability of the
software tool is aided by its freeness; this in turn creates
opportunity for people to make money supporting it, using it, etc.

In Europe, (and in other parts of the world), there is no cost
associated with receiving a phone call, just in making one.  This is
true for all phones, including busines and cellular.  This system
makes it desirable to have a phone; after all, you can get phone calls
from your friends, right?  The fact that it costs more to call a cell
phone than to call a home phone does not prevent the wide
dissemination of cell phones.

Brian