Subject: Re: open source definition
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 15:36:35 -0400

> The Grateful Dead didn't have the problem that you are referring to,
> and yet they were in the "free music business" themselves (as I
> recall, one was allowed to make "bootleg" recordings of their
> concerts).

I think they were in the "entertaining performance" business, and the
bootlegs just served as advertising.  The performance isn't something
you can copy and share with current technology.

All these examples tie something that's easy to copy to something
that's hard to copy, so that physical object manufacturing or
consulting business plans continue to work.

I want a plan that works when *all* the work product is easy to copy,
and users are permitted to do so.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf