Subject: Re: Admin burden of proprietary licenses.
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 07:44:01 -0500

"Brian" == Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org> writes:

Brian> One related note: in a recent audit of Apache, one company
Brian> found that there was a snippet of code which was lifted from
Brian> one package (xinetd, a BSD-ish license) which was previously
Brian> lifted from another (the "sio" i/o library, also BSD-ish
Brian> license) but whose original source is the old "GNU libc-4.7.2"
Brian> package.  The tar file for "libc-4.7.5" that I pulled down from
Brian> tsx-11.mit.edu had *NO* copyright statement in it - no
Brian> "COPYING" file, not even a mention in a README or something.
Brian> Various files had an assortment of copyrights on them, but not
Brian> the code that was lifted.  Of course, the lifted code has gone
Brian> through at least 2 generations of rework since it was in libc.
Brian> Does anyone know what the "right thing" to do in this situation
Brian> is?  Rewrite the code?

Contact the owner (presumably the FSF) and get a license
after-the-fact.  I can't imagine the FSF failing to comply.  Fair-use
analysis might play out in your favor as well.