Subject: Re: great quote
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:13:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> At 06:49 PM 6/18/98 -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> >http://www.thestandard.net/articles/news_display/0,1270,720,00.html
> >
> > "Having the source code is the difference between buying a
> >  house and renting an apartment," said Behlendorf.
>
> Thanks.  Now can anyone explain to me what I meant?  I should never to
> speak to reporters before my morning coffee.  :)

In an apartment, you have to ask the landlord to fix things.  In a
house you own, you can fix them yourself.  Same is true for building on
additions, or building in bookshelves -- with the additional problem
that you're less likely to be able to build in bookshelves if you're
renting.

What's more, if your landlord runs into trouble, you may have to find a
new place to live.  (This happened to me in California in 1996.  The
house was supposedly worth $400,000+, and that's what the mortgage was
based on, but it was right next to the freeway, and nobody else thought
it was worth that much.  Eventually, the bank foreclosed, and I had to
go find a new home.)

I think the analogy is extremely apt.

Kragen