Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:04:54 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

	For an innovative product to succeed, people has to use it. And
making it free software is one of the simpler and more reliable ways
of achieving it. You have many examples of this, starting with the
BSD Internet software, which was widely incorporated in many Unix (and non
Unix) systems, and made the Internet, as we know it today, a real
thing. More recently, you have Mosaic (and Netscape and Explorer),
which either were free software, or derivatives of free software, and
in any case were given for free (at least in many cases). Were they
not free, the Webification probably hadn't succeed at the speed it is
doing. At least for this kind of applications, innovation and free
software were hand by hand.

	Of course, there are counter-examples, and small markets could
be very different, anyway, from mass markets.

	Just my 2ptas opinion...

		Jesus.

--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona             | Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
tel +3491 624 9458, fax +3491 624 9430 | Departamento de Informatica