Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: A few thoughts.
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:58:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es wrote:
> More recently, you have Mosaic (and Netscape and Explorer),
> which either were free software, or derivatives of free software, and
> in any case were given for free (at least in many cases).

Now, I know you probably came to the Internet after Mosaic did, so this
mistake is forgivable.

The truth is that Mosaic was never libre software, just gratis
software; Explorer includes code from Mosaic; Netscape does not.

Lynx is libre software, and always has been, but Lynx users have been a
tiny minority of Web users since early 1993.

> Were they
> not free, the Webification probably hadn't succeed at the speed it is
> doing. At least for this kind of applications, innovation and free
> software were hand by hand.

This is more a matter of giving away loss-leaders to grow a market than
an example of libre software spurring innovation.

(Which is not to say I don't think libre software spurs innovation.)

Kragen