Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:50:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu wrote:
> If I end up deciding to commercialize EROS somehow, it's in my
> interests to support Linux actively in order to cause such a change
> point in the market to come into existence.  Come to think of it,
> that's an argument for free software I haven't heard anybody advance
> here, and it's an approach that will appeal to Fortune 500 marketing
> folks....

That's interesting.

I think you stand to benefit, also, if Linux wins, simply because
supporting Linux applications on EROS will be perhaps one and a half
orders of magnitude easier than supporting Win32 applications on EROS.

> BTW, it's looking more and more like we are going to Mozillize
> (Mozillify?  Mozzle?  Definitely not Mozzle.) EROS.  We will likely
> use a more restricted license up to the moment where we ship our first
> product and then open up the source base.  In our particular case
> there is one potential competitor who has the technical know-how and
> marketing inclination to scoop us if we don't ship before we open up.

You know, I think it would be really wonderful if you did Mozillify
EROS.  "Security" would no longer mean "only two bugs behind the
crackers" -- it would mean "it's not possible to break in".  IMHO, that
would be a good thing.

Kragen