Subject: Suse, Calder, etc..
From: David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:15:42 -0700

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 05:25:50PM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:

> I think that s/commercial/proprietary/g is more accurate.  Caldera,
> Redhat, S.u.s.e, Stampede, are all commercial purveyors of Linux,
> which I think everyone agrees is not proprietary.

Well.. I think they lay along a spectrum.  Redhat releases all their
own code, and their 'core' distribution as free software.  Caldera,
OTOH, seems to release a fair amount of work under proprietary
licenses, and in fact, some of their distributions are not even
gratis.  I have yet to fully ascertain exactly how 'libre' Suse is.  I
have hear conflicting things, but have never seen for myself..

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org