Subject: Re: Suse, Caldera, etc..
From: Bob Young <bob@redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:41:09 -0400

> On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 05:25:50PM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
> > I think that s/commercial/proprietary/g is more accurate.  Caldera,
> > Redhat, S.u.s.e, Stampede, are all commercial purveyors of Linux,
> > which I think everyone agrees is not proprietary.
>
> Well.. I think they lay along a spectrum.  Redhat releases all their
> own code, and their 'core' distribution as free software.

Just to confirm David's point here, we publish all of the software we
write under the terms of the GPL.

This might mean that we are further along a spectrum towards Open
Source or Free Software than others, but that is not the point as far
as we (the marketing dweebs at Red Hat) are concerned.

The point is that it delivers benefits to our customers that results in
their preferring Red Hat Linux over NT, or other proprietary
binary-only OSes.

Cheers,   Bob.

Phone 919-547-0012 x227			Fax   919-547-0024
P.O. Box 13588				email: bob@redhat.com
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709	http://www.redhat.com