Subject: Re: OSDD?
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 03:05:52 -0400

> As long as I can make $2 for every $1 I spend, I like this model.

Good!  There's a lot of open source I want for Linux, and I'm not
afraid to help buy it.

> But what if I write a new program "blorf" that doesn't recover the
> investment.

Product lines flop, and startups go bust.  That's why you're being
incented with a 42% annual return.  Maybe you'll have a lot of product
lines, and spread the risk.  If 42% doesn't float your boat, I'm sure
there's some number we can find that will make you run right out and
get a bank loan.  I'm not so concerned whether I pay 2X or 3X costs,
what I abhor is 1M people paying $100 for a word processor every other
year.  It doesn't cost $100M to write a word processor, at least not
in any paid-core-developers volunteered-patches semi-bazaar model.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text