Subject: Re: OSDD?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:01:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Bob Young wrote:
> But in  all those enterprise applications where the Pointy-Haired
> Boss just wants a working solution most support is not related to bugs.
> These buyers don't want to take responsibility for the technical
> implementation, or ongoing support of the application, the support
> opportunities exist independent of the quality of the software.  This
> is because the majority of the support work is in implementation,
> integration, training, and other work associated with making the
> solution work within the enterprise, not fixing bugs.

Well, I don't want to argue with Bob Young, but here's the way I see it:

Some software is easier to implement, integrate, and train people on
than other software.  It's probably a good idea to use software that's
easier to implement, integrate, and train people on, all other factors
being equal.  But this revenue model creates a perverse incentive for
authors to write software that's harder to implement, integrate, and
train people to use.

The libre software community hasn't got the usability religion yet.
(I'll believe that GNOME is evidence of conversion when Don Norman
books and naive-user walkthroughs start showing up at RHADL's Rumor
Mill.)  I doubt this is related to the above perverse incentive, but
others have been claiming that it is.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web