Subject: RFC on this situation
From: nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp (Gavin Thomas Nicol)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 93 15:29:41 JST

Ok. I'm going to pose a not so hypothetical question:

I am in the process of creating a library, which I hope will be used
widely. I would like to give authors of free[1] software the right
to use it under conditions like those of the GNU project. However,
for commercial use, I'd like to charge a fee. How do people feel
about this, and what would be the best way to do it?

(I should note that the reason why I want commercial people to pay
is because I feel that if I have so compromise my ethical feelings so
they can use it in a proprietary way, they should also suffer. What
better way to make them suffer than to ask for money? Also, I'd like
to get some money for the hours I spent on the library, which I'm not
likely to get via consulting.)

[1] "free" here means that the program a) comes with source, and b)
is available for no cost other than basic transferral/handling costs.