Subject: Re: OSDD?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:45:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Here's another angle to it.  Is source code a form of speech?  Of
> expression?  If so, who among us would argue that a film actor should make
> back "just enough" money from a movie's release, thereafter being free?  Or
> a musician should only make up to a certain amount of money from their
> music, and after that point (save for performing live, etc) it's free?

Absolutely.  In fact, that principle is the very foundation of our
copyright and patent law -- although it limits profits by limiting
time, rather than directly.

This principle has been hidden somewhat in recent years, as the time
limit has gone up from 28 years to 56 years to 75 years to 100 years
after the death of the author.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web