Subject: Re: OSDD?
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:22:56 +0100

Tim O'Reilly wrote:
> When I look at the most successful free software projects, I don't
> see people contributing to them BECAUSE they are free, but because
> they CAN.  The biggest benefit of free software isn't that it's free,
> it's that it's adaptable, so you can solve your own problem.  So
> trying to limit how much money people can make seems a bit off
> the scent.
>
> As RMS might say, the issue isn't one of price; it's one of freedom.

Exactly. Isn't this why we've all started saying "open source" instead
of "free"?

I'm quite happy with the idea that open source software can cost money -
after all, it already does, look at Linux/FreeBSD/... - the important
point is my ability to review, fix, contribute, modify, not the price
tag.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/