Subject: Re: OSDD?
From: "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jesusg@cs.cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:36:44 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

Ben Laurie writes:
 > Tim O'Reilly wrote:
 > > When I look at the most successful free software projects, I don't
 > > see people contributing to them BECAUSE they are free, but because
 > > they CAN.  The biggest benefit of free software isn't that it's free,
 > > it's that it's adaptable, so you can solve your own problem.  So
 > > trying to limit how much money people can make seems a bit off
 > > the scent.
 > >
 > > As RMS might say, the issue isn't one of price; it's one of freedom.
 >
 > Exactly. Isn't this why we've all started saying "open source" instead
 > of "free"?
 >
 > I'm quite happy with the idea that open source software can cost money -
 > after all, it already does, look at Linux/FreeBSD/... - the important
 > point is my ability to review, fix, contribute, modify, not the price
 > tag.

	An don't forget redistribute. That's important, too. And that
makes per-copy prices go down, by competition in the distribution
business, and by cooperation among users.

		Jesus.

PS: In fact, I'd even say that what is important is your ability to
distribute your fixes, contributions and modifications (not only to
the original "autor", but to the community using that program as a
whole).
--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona             | Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
tel +3491 624 9458, fax +3491 624 9430 | Departamento de Informatica