Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Rich Morin wrote:
> >  In short, although freedom
> > from cost is not the only issue surrounding Open Source software, it
> > _is_ an important issue.
>
> One of the reasons I am not a GPL fan, and prefer the Berkeley license
> used by Apache, is that GPL more-or-less forces freedom from cost, which
> is superficially attractive, but a serious limitation in some
> circumstances.

The GPL certainly does not force freedom from cost -- not more, or even
less.  The vast majority of people who have GPLed software today paid
for most of it.

In fact, the GPL goes out of its way to make it clear that freedom from
cost is not forced, and the FSF has crusaded against people who'll let
you use their software freely and see the source, but not let you sell
it.

Now, I'm sure you know all this, so you must have meant something
different from what I heard.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web