Subject: Re: "University-style" vs "Berkeley" licenses
From: Keith Bostic <bostic@bsdi.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

> As rms correctly points out in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html,
> the "Berkeley" license has a problem not found in many other "University-
> style" licenses.  Specifically, it requires redistributors to include a
> notice in their advertising, as:
>
>   All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>   must display the following acknowledgement:
>      This product includes software developed by the University of
>      California, Berkeley and its contributors.
>
> One notice is not that much of a problem, but 75 notices (as counted by
> rms recently!) could require the use of a rather larger ad...

While I would prefer that the language weren't there, this isn't correct.
The statement says "mentioning features or use".  You only have to give
notice if you specifically mention features that you obtained from
elsewhere.  Sure, some folks simply do a laundry list, but only because
it's simpler and they don't want to bother actually thinking about it.

--keith